Monday, August 25, 2008

Eng 111 Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird

After reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, I read the first few paragraphs and felt great about myself. The reason I felt so great was because right away I took a great deal to heart knowing that I was absolutely agreeing with her perspective on writing. In our first assignment we were asked, " How does one become a good writer"? Anne Lamott could not have explained it any better in her first paragraph when saying start with a shitty first draft. I feel like practice makes perfect. No matter if it's a sport, acting, teaching,working, and last but not least, writing. Writing is something that no one is truly good at on their first try and it is very frustrating because it takes so much hard work and effort. When Anne said in the first paragraph that no writers sit down and feel like a million bucks because they know that it is just not simply true. The are being real and knowing that this first draft that the whip out of no where and nothing but rambling and random thoughts is going to be simply shitty. The upside to this very shitty first draft is one, the writer knows that the second one is going to be better and two, they could come out with something that they never thought would come out thinking "rationally". Anne couldn't be more correct in my mind because she is being 100% honest and it seems like in this day and age one doesn't see much of that. I am very glad to have read this article because with the year just starting it is good to have a little reminder in your head that is saying, if you give it some time and effort it will all come together in the end.

2 comments:

Betsy Woods said...

I agree with you--Anne Lammott's advice about getting over the first draft is something everyone should consider. They say that even F. Scott Fitzgerlad wrote unremarkable first drafts and that it was only after work that his writing became distinguished.

Johnny Sugar said...

I agree with you and I also felt relieved when I read the first paragraphs Anne Lamott's "Bird By Bird". It was refreshing that she was being honest and saying that no one gets their writing perfect the first time. It made me feel better about myself to know that even the best writers need to do multiple blogs just as I do.